EarthQuaker Devices Black Ash – An Endangered Species
You definitely don’t want to “wait and see” what the limited edition EarthQuaker Devices Black Ash is all about, because there are only 1,500 in existence! It houses a selection of premium components from EQD President Jamie Stillman’s personal collection, including paper-in-oil capacitors and half-watt carbon composition resistors. It’s a fuzz/overdrive that takes after the characteristics of the famous “3-knob” Tone Bender. It goes beyond traditional fuzz/drive circuits to deliver an explosive, yet responsive experience.
Use the unique “Top” control to dial in exactly where you want your guitar to sit in a full-band mix. It also assists in its pairing with nearly ANY pickup type. As you increase the Top control, you’ll hear it become more rigid and sharp-sounding. This is great for getting that “twinkle” out of your single coils, or making your humbuckers chime. Dial it down to get more subtle response with earthy, organic character.
The Volume knob gives you plenty of space to adjust output, and the Fuzz control helps adjust your desired amount of gain. Basically, you can be on fire and completely cool off with the simple twist of a knob. No need to stop, drop, and roll!
Features at a glance:
- Limited edition: 1,500 units
- Rare and irreplaceable components from Jamie Stillman’s personal stash, including paper-in-oil capacitors and NOS half-watt carbon composition resistors
- True Bypass
- All-analog signal path
- Top control adjusts key frequencies between 2kHz and 10kHz to adjust where your guitar sits in a full-band mix, and helps the pedal to pair with different pickup types.
- Volume control voiced for unity gain around 10 o’clock; lots of output on tap
- Fuzz control adjusts gain from cool, calm, and collected, to sizzling fuzz
- Silent relay-based switching
- 9V DC power requirement (battery or adaptor)
- Pedal dimensions: 4.75″ x 2.50″ x 2.25″